Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cake Truffles


I love the idea of cake truffles!  They are so fun to play around with, easy to make, and easy to eat!!  Several months ago, I was making a birthday cake and had left over cake (from all the trimmings).  I didn't know what to do - I didn't want to eat it all and I didn't want to throw the excess away - so I went to the internet for answers.  I came across several sites that used the excess cake to make cake truffles - AWESOME and YUMM.

They were so fun to make and such a hit that I made them for Valentine's Day at the restaurant (and a few catering events).  When you bite into the truffle, the cake isn't crumbly or light, but rich and fudge-like!!

Take your left over cake trimmings and form them into small balls (roughly a heaping tablespoon size).  If the cake is on the drier side, add some liquid to moisten the cake before forming into balls.  I had a chocolate cake, so I used some Kahlua to moisten the cake and add depth of flavor.  Once the balls are formed, put them in the freezer for 30 minutes or until they have hardened.


When they are ready, start to make the coating.  I made a chocolate coating then I drizzled white chocolate over the top for pretty design.  Use a double boiler to melt your chocolate and keep the bowl over the heat while rolling the cake balls, to keep the chocolate pliable.  When the chocolate is ready, roll your cake balls into the bowl (I use two forks to roll them) and quickly place them on wax paper to cool.  When the chocolate coating is dry, you can do another coating for a design if you want - like I said, I used white chocolate to drizzle over as the design.  You can store them in the freezer until ready to serve!

Raspberry Sauce served with the Truffle as a dipping sauce
I used the chocolate cake recipe from the Chocolate Cupcakes in the Hello Everyone post.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment